Every week, Executive Director Scott Croonquist updates members with information on the legislature, relevant events and current news.
Association of Metropolitan School Districts Update
February 6, 2015
The House and Senate Education Committees continued to hold overview hearings on the Governor’s budget proposals and MDE Work Group reports as well as hearings on several different bills. Below is a brief summary of some of the committee action this past week. In addition, you can find a summary of the Governor’s budget proposal, the AMSD bill tracker and other session information on the AMSD web site: http://www.amsd.org/2015-legislative-session
Tuesday, February 3, 2015
- House Education Innovation Policy: The Committee heard HF 466 (Kresha) allowing school districts to begin the school year before Labor Day just for the 2015-16 school year, HF 100 (Norton) repealing the prohibition of starting the school year before Labor Day but prohibit instructional days on the Thursday and Friday preceding Labor Day and HF 197 (Miller) allowing school boards to authorize a four-day week school calendar. The bills were heard and laid over for future consideration.
- Senate Ed Finance: The Committee heard SF 96 (Kiffmeyer) school districts equity revenue eligibility expansion and SF 133 (Dahle) educational cooperatives and educational districts teacher development and evaluation revenue authorization. Both bills were laid over for possible inclusion in the omnibus bill.
- House State Government Finance: The Committee reviewed the Health Insurance Transparency Act (HITA) legislation passed during the 2014 legislative session. Testimony included: Judy McDonald, Executive Director, Human Resources, Osseo Area Schools, Wayne Kazmierczak, Director of Finance and Operations, White Bear Lake Area Schools, Matthew Mons, Executive Director of Human Resources, Prior-Lake-Savage School District, Tom Pederstuen, Director of Human Resources, Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan Public Schools and Paul Bourgeois, Executive Director of Finance/Operations, Minnetonka Public Schools.
- House Education Finance: The Committee received an overview from the Minnesota Department of Education on assessments.
Wednesday, February 4, 2015
- House Education Finance: The Committee held a joint hearing with the Health and Human Services Finance Committee and reviewed Governor Dayton’s Early Care and Early Learning budget.
Thursday, February 5, 2015
- House Education Innovation Policy: The Committee heard presentations on career and technical education. Presentations included representatives from Bloomington Public Schools, Osseo Area Schools, Southwest Metro Educational Cooperative and Intermediate District 287.
- Senate E-12 Budget Division: The Committee heard SF 298 (Stumpf) temporary teaching licensure extension to initial teaching licensure authorization. Testimony included Jim Grathwol and Maggie Sullivan, Minneapolis Public Schools. The bill was laid over for future consideration.
- House Education Finance: The Committee received a presentation from the Teacher Development and Evaluation/Alternative Teacher Professional Pay System Alignment Work Group.
The formal rulemaking process for the school desegregation and integration rulemaking proceeding has begun. The Request for Comments will be published in the State Register on Monday, February 9, 2015. The Minnesota Department of Education will accept comments on the proposed rule until April 10, 2015. Information about how to submit a comment and a copy of the proposed rule will be available on the MDE web site on Monday: http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/Welcome/Rule/ActiveRule/SchDesInt/index.htm
Upcoming Legislative Committee Hearings
Here is a preliminary list of some of the education committee hearings scheduled for next week:
Tuesday, February 10, 2015 8:15 AM
Education Innovation Policy Chair: Rep. Sondra Erickson
Basement Hearing Room
Agenda: HF2 (Loon)Teacher licensure and employment conditions clarified; alternative teacher licensure amended; teacher licensure reciprocity with adjoining states provided; license via portfolio, exemption for technical education instructors, teachers’ unrequested leaves of absence and teaching assignments decisions, and teacher examination requirements clarified; and placing students with ineffective teachers prohibited.
Tuesday, February 10, 2015 – 8:30 AM E-12 Budget Division Chair: Sen. Charles W. Wiger Room 112 Capitol Agenda: S.F. 344-Johnson, A.: School breakfast program state aid increase. S.F. 322-Saxhaug: Headwaters science center grant appropriation. S.F. 299-Stumpf: Northwestern online college in the high school program appropriation
Wednesday, February 11, 2015 – 8:30 AM Committee on Education Chair: Sen. Charles W. Wiger. Room 112 Capitol Agenda: S.F. 284-Koenen: Independent school district #347, Willmar; school start date before Labor Day authorization. S.F. 285-Koenen: Independent school district #2534, Bird Island-Olivia-Lake Lillian; school start date before Labor Day authorization. S.F. 286-Koenen: Independent school district #2890, Renville County West; school start date before Labor Day authorization. S.F. 287-Koenen: Independent school district #345, New London-Spicer; school start date before Labor Day authorization. S.F. 288-Koenen: Independent school district #777, Benson; school start date before Labor Day authorization. S.F. 290-Koenen: Independent school district #2159, Buffalo Lake-Hector-Stewart; school start date before Labor Day authorization. S.F. 162-Koenen: School districts flexible learning year program establishment without approval. S.F. 267-Koenen: Independent school district #129, Montevideo; school start before Labor Day. S.F. 88-Koenen: Four-day school week reauthorization. S.F. 550-Weber: Independent school district #2884, Red Rock Central; school start before Labor Day. S.F. 115-Wiger: School year start before Labor Day authorization; holding school days on the Thursday and Friday preceding Labor Day prohibition
Thursday, February 12, 2015
Education Innovation Policy
8:15 AM to 10:00 AM
Basement Hearing Room
If necessary, the committee will reconvene at 6pm or 30 minutes after session adjourns, whichever is later, in Rm 200 to complete the agenda.
Agenda: HF500 (Bennett) List of offenses authorizing a denial or revocation of a teaching license by the Board of Teaching or Board of School Administrators expanded. HF217 (Selcer) 9th and 10th grade students authorized to enroll in concurrent enrollment world language courses. HF638 (Whelan) State math standards statutory review postponed. If necessary, bills not completed on Tuesday’s agenda will be added to today’s agenda.
Thursday, February 12, 2015 – 8:30 AM E-12 Budget Division Chair: Sen. Charles W. Wiger Room 107 Capitol Agenda: MDE reports on testing and teacher evaluation
Members receive a full update, with more details. Interested in joining AMSD? Click here for more details!